Bariatric surgery can be an excellent a tool to help you lose weight and reduce obesity-related comorbidities. If you’ve considered surgery in the past but waited because you weren’t sure if you qualified, you may be surprised to learn that patients have a wide variety of conditions and specific needs. There is no magic wand for the disease of obesity. Lifestyle changes are key to the success of a bariatric patient. Who is considered a candidate for bariatric surgery at our Louisiana and Mississippi weight loss surgery centers?
Common Weight Loss Surgery Qualifications:
- Your BMI is over 40.
- Your BMI is over 35 with an obesity-related co-morbidity like diabetes or hypertension.
- You are 100 pounds over your ideal body weight.
- You have not been able to lose weight through traditional diet and exercise.
- You are between 18-70 years of age. If you are outside this range, please speak to one of our patient advocates for more info.
- You are ready to commit to a healthier, active lifestyle.
- You do not have medical conditions that could make surgery dangerous.
- You are free from stomach or intestinal disorders.
- You do not abuse drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes.
- You are not planning to become pregnant for at least 18-24 months.
Will My Insurance Cover Bariatric Surgery?
Coverage for bariatric surgery varies by insurance company. Companies who offer coverage often require patients to meet specific qualifications before approval. The best way to confirm whether or not your insurance will partially or fully cover the costs of bariatric surgery is to submit a free insurance verification form. Our patient advocates make it easy by contacting your insurance for you.
Bariatric surgery can be a life-saving tool for patients who have struggled with weight loss on their own. As research continues to highlight the benefits associated with bariatric surgery, many overweight Americans are finding that they are more easily able to qualify for surgery now than in the past.
If you are interested in learning if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery, or if your insurance will cover costs, click here to fill out a form and a patient advocate will give you a call to discuss your options. You can also attend one of our free weight loss surgery seminars; click here to register for a seminar near you. We look forward to helping you reach your weight loss goals! 1-877-691-3001.