Pediatric Wellness and Weight Program
- Louisiana has the highest prevalence of obesity in the nation at 36.2% of adults.
- In children who are 2 to 4 years old, the obesity rate is 13.2%
- In children who are 10 to 17 years old, the obesity rate is 21.1%
- The number of children and adolescents diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes has more than doubled, as has the rise in obesity rates and other obesity related conditions.
- Pediatric Obesity is known to be a major cause of morbidity among American children.
- Adolescents who are obese have an 80% chance of being obese in adulthood.
- In 2008, the estimated annual medical cost of obesity was $147 billion in the U.S. and almost $2.5 billion for Louisiana
The Pediatric Wellness and Weight Program is a multidisciplinary program specifically designed to take an intensive approach toward fighting obesity among children.
The health epidemic that already has placed Louisiana on the map for its impact on the adult population poses a threat on the state’s younger residents because of the future implications for poor health.
During the past 30 years, childhood obesity rates have more than tripled. Nearly 40% of the children in the United States are overweight or obese, with severe obesity increasing the fastest.
Children referred to the Wellness and Weight Program are diagnosed with the same co-morbidities found in adults. These include hypertension, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, diabetes, fatty liver disease, high cholesterol, metabolic syndrome, arthritis, and self-esteem issues including depression with a quality of life similar to children with cancer, in some cases.
The Multi-Disciplinary Team approach has been demonstrated to be an effective way to handle weight management problems. This team includes Dr. Sophie Lanciers, Board Certified in Pediatrics and Obesity Medicine, a Dietitian, a Psychologist and an Exercise Specialist.
The program is flexible to meet the children’s and parent’s needs whether they require a tailored number of consultations, a 12-week intensive program or a maintenance plan with six monthly visits. The goal of the Wellness and Weight Program is for all children to grow up as healthy as possible. Our Customized Treatment Plan is based on the American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines.