If you are living with excess weight or obesity that impairs your health or well-being, you may be a candidate for vBloc® Neurometabolic Therapy. vBloc® Therapy, delivered via the Maestro System, is FDA approved for weight loss in adults with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35-39.9 and a related health condition, or with a BMI of 40-45.
How The Maestro System Works
The vagus nerve sends signals between the brain and the stomach, which control the sensation of hunger. vBloc® therapy sporadically blocks these signals.
How the Maestro System Is Placed
Our advanced laparoscopic surgeons will implant the Maestro System under the skin by making several small incisions in the abdomen to insert the leads. They will then connect the two device wires around your vagus nerve in the area just above your stomach. This is an outpatient procedure and you can go home the same day. Most patients go back to work within a few days.
Usually your device will be programmed to deliver at least 12 hours of therapy each day while you are awake. It is important to routinely recharge the Maestro device. Our healthcare team will teach you how to charge and manage the battery life of your neuroregulator. They will help guide you on your journey and be your first point of contact for any questions or concerns. As a tool, the Maestro System will be most effective when used in combination with healthy eating habits and physical activity.
You May Be a Candidate For vBloc® Therapy
- BMI of 40-45
- BMI of 35-39.9 with a health-related condition such as:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Sleep Apnea
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- BMI of 30-35 may qualify after discussion with your surgeon.
- Been unable to maintain weight loss through diet and exercise in a supervised program within the last five (5) years.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Did you know that if you have a BMI greater than 35, you’re likely paying 45% more in health care expenses? Even a modest weight loss of 5 to 10 percent of total body weight shows improvements in blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugars.(1) Start your weight loss journey and start feeling healthy again.
(1) 5-10% Weight Loss. Reference for 5%: Blackburn G. (1995). Effect of degree of weight loss on health benefits. Obesity Research 3: 211S-216S. Reference for 10%: NIH, NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults.