Nutrition After Bariatric Surgery
After bariatric surgery, particularly gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery, you will be required to follow specific food guidelines. These guidelines help to insure that you receive proper nutrition with minimal disruption to healing and weight loss efforts. Because you will likely be eating smaller portions, it is important to adopt a nutrient-rich, high protein diet to prevent nutrient deficiency.
Before bariatric surgery, patients meet with one of our clinical professionals to create a custom nutrition plan. You will also learn techniques and tools that can help improve weight loss and prevent weight regain after bariatric surgery.
General Bariatric Nutritional Recommendations
Balanced nutrition is essential for physical and emotional well-being, both before and after weight loss surgery. No matter where you are in your weight loss efforts, following these bariatric surgery nutrition tips can help improve your weight loss and make eating more enjoyable:
- Stay hydrated by sipping water between meals
- Enjoy small, protein-packed meals
- Take physician-recommended vitamin and mineral supplements each day
- Add new foods to your diet slowly to prevent nausea, discomfort, or vomiting
- Chew food completely before swallowing
- Drink and eat slowly to prevent dumping syndrome